These Vegan Cutlet recipe is inspired by a classic recipe from Isa Chandra Moskowitz. They come together in no time and they taste great. Try them with your favourite sauce or gravy and pair them up with roasted veggies, salads and baked potatoes. They also make a lovely sandwich with pickles, lettuce and tomatoes and a spoonful of vegan mayonnaise mixed with ketchup and mustard!
Surely you will agree that going vegan has made us aware of so many new foods, boosted our creativity and allowed us to have more variety in our diet than ever before. I am just loving it so much that everyday I look forward to cook up a delicious meal using my creativity and my passion for good food that leaves me satisfied and makes me feel good about myself.
Speaking of which, I am so going to make another version of this recipe using different kind of veggies in the cutlet. Curious how that will turn out!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
- 1 16 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup wheat gluten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried sage
- ¾ cup vegetable sock
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown rice miso
- ½ tbsp mushroom powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and some more for frying
- In a food processor pulse the chickpeas with garlics until completely broken down into small pieces but not too much to AVOID making paste or hummus.
- To prepare the dry mixture, add the chickpeas into a large mixing bowl and add wheat gluten, panko, nutritional yeast, parsley, thyme and age and stir with a spatula to combine. Set aside.
- For the wet mixture, in a large measuring cup, mix together vegetable stock, soy sauce, miso, mushroom powder, turmeric, paprika, chilli flakes and oil.
- Add the wet mixture to the dried mixture and bring all the ingredients together to form a dough and knead for a minute to combine all the ingredients together.
- Divide the dough in two equal pieces and then divide each piece of dough into 4 equal pieces. Then form each dough into a cutlet shape.
- Preheat a large skillet on medium heat add a bit of oil (if using) to cover a thin layer of the pan. Put 4 cutlets in the pan and with a back of the spatula press down each cutlet and then close the lid. Let the cutlets cook for 7 minutes and in between press the cutlets down couple of times. After7 minutes flip the cutlets and repeat the same procedure for 7 minutes.
- Remove from the pan let it rest for 5-10 minutes before serving and continue with the second batch or freeze the second batch if not using.