It’s scorching hot and in all honesty, I have so little desire to cook warm meals! When the heat has killed the appetite, Cold juices, smoothies and colder salads are in order!
My “Bohemian Summer Salad with Grilled Corn” is colorful, juicy and full of flavor. It is a great way to use up those plentiful summer produce. Plus it is the ideal salad to keep you cool this summer and it’s perfect for a pool party, brunch party or for a picnic at the beach.
How to make this “Bohemian Summer Salad with Grilled Corn” recipe?
In a large salad bowl, I added the salad leaves, then the mixed sprouts, cherry tomatoes, radishes, blackberries, strawberries and nectarines and topped it up with feta cheese, handful of walnuts, cashew nuts and pumpkin seeds. at the end, I tossed the salad with Honey Mustard Balsamic Vinaigrette. And of course I served the salad with grilled corn. Corn is always a hit and goes well with any salad (but that goes without saying).
For the Corn on the Cob:
- 2 large ears of fresh corn, peeled and each cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch of smoked paprika powder
For the Salad:
- 200g sprout mix (green peas, adzuki beans, chickpeas, red lentils and mini bean sprouts)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, cut into slices
- ½ cup fresh blackberries
- 2 nectarines, thinly sliced
- 5 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 150g mix salad leaves (rucola, red lettuce, green lettuce, red chard, bull’s blood leaves)
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- ½ cup toasted mix nuts + seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, cashews, walnuts, etc.)
- 200g feta or vegan feta cheese cubes
For the Honey Mustard Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the dressing; in a bowl whisk together mustard, one tablespoon of honey and balsamic vinegar; while whisking, graduallly add in olive oil until emulsified. Adjust honey amount adding more if desired for a sweeter taste, then season with salt and black pepper. Chill in the fridge.
- To cook the corn ears, bring a large pasta pot full of water to boil.
- When water is boiling, drop the Corn in the Water. Cook for 15 minutes or until corn is cooked. Drain in a colander and allow to cool down.
- Brush the corn with a little bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a barbeque or in a preheated griddle pan and cook, turning the cobs, until lightly toasted. Transfer to the serving dish and sprinkle with chopped parsley and smoked paprika.
- To assemble the salad, in a large salad bowl, toss together the salad leaves, strawberries, blueberries, nectarines, radishes, tomatoes and feta cheese. Stir in the mix sprouts. Add half of the vinaigrette and toss gently.
- Finally, top the salad with sliced avocado if using, nuts and seeds and serve with the remaining vinaigrette and grilled corn on the side.