Think of Mexican and tacos are the first dish that comes to mind. “My Quinoa and Red Bean Tacos with Mango Tomato Salsa” recipe is easy to make and is an absolute comfort food that is healthy and delightful.
Tacos are the perfect and easy put together festive meal when you have people over. It’s kids- friendly and perfect to feed a large crowd.
Tacos can be made with virtually anything. But my vegetarian version for this tacos are bursting with good-for-you ingredient “Quinoa”. Quinoa known to many as “the mother grain” is a super food, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids, plus it tastes darn good too. In addition, quinoa is also high in fiber, magnesium, B-vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants.
Tips for making this recipe
You can make the filling a day ahead and keep it in the refrigerator and heat it up gently once you are ready to serve. The filling will also keep in the freezer for 2 months, so whenever you fancy a taco you can whip one up in minutes. The salsa can be made few hours in advance and chilled in the refrigerator.
Lastly, If you have made this recipe please leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #laceandcoco.
For Quinoa and Red Bean Filling
- ½ cup mix quinoa, cooked as per the cooking instruction on the package
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped in cubes
- 1½ can (600g) cooked kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ tablespoon tamari
- 230g tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar or red vinegar
- ½ cup water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
For Taco Shells
- Small Tortilla wraps
- Oil spray
For Mango Tomato Salsa
- I medium fresh mango, peeled and diced in small cubes
- 4 plum tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- ¼ Cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2½ teaspoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Proceed to making the quinoa as per the cooking instruction on the package. Once done, off the heat and set aside.
- To make the mango tomato salsa, in a small bowl, combine all the ingredient. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for couple of hours before serving.
- Prepare the oven, first remove the oven rack from inside the oven and then turn the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- On a medium heat, in a large wok or frying pan with a lid, heat the olive and avocado oil.
- Once hot, add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Now add the garlic, chili powder and paprika and cook for another minute. Then stir in the chopped garlic continue cooking for another minute. Don’t hesitate to add a drop of water to release the spices from the bottom of the pan if needed.
- Add the red bell peppers and cook for another minute. Then stir in quinoa and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Now it’s time to add the kidney beans, tamari, tomato sauce, agave syrup, vinegar, water and continue to cook over low heat with the lid half covering the pan for further 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and adjust the spices according to your taste. One done turn off the heat and cover with lid to keep warm.
- Now make the Taco shells, wrap 6 tortilla wraps in a slightly damp kitchen towel and put it in the microwave on High for about 30 seconds to steam the wraps. Continue the same with the rest of the tortilla wraps if making more taco shells.
- Remove from the microwave and lay the tortillas on a clean work surface and spray both sides with oil spray. Then carefully drape each tortilla over two bars of the oven rack. And bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until crispy. Remove from the oven and let it cool down.
- Once ready to make the tacos, fill each taco shell with the quinoa mixture and top it up with mango tomato salsa.