Making your own delicious oil-free vegan gravy is super easy – all you need to get going is vegges, herbs and red wine! Just follow the simple instructions below and you will make yourself a scrumptious gravy that will complement your nut roast, vegan cutlet, veggie wellington or vegan meatloaf.
And as we all agree a jug of proper gravy poured liberally over nut roast and vegan meatloaf is what makes the dinner complete.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
- ¾ cup veggie stock
- ¼ tsp dried thyme, sage
- Small pinch of dried rosemary
- 5 brown mushrooms, cut in half
- 3 cloves of garlic, slices in two
- 3 medium carrots peeled and cut in chunks
- 2 onions, cut quarters
- 3 scallions, cut in two pieces
- 3 Celery, chopped
- Handful of fresh celery leaves, chopped roughly (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp white flour
- ½ cup vegan red wine
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp marmite
- 1 tsp or more maple syrup
- 2 bay leaves
- In a measuring cup mix together, veggie stock and dried thyme and pinch of rosemary.
- In a sauce pan, add a little drops of veggie stock, add the mushrooms and garlics and cook until browned then add the rest of veggies, season with salt and pepper.
- Now add flour right inside the pan and stir to coat veggies with flour and cook. Add red wine to glaze. Then add soy, marmite and maple syrup and stir well to combine.
- Next add bay leaves and cook for couple of more minutes.
- Now add the remaining of veggie stock and let it simmer to reduce. Once done pass it through a sieve lined with a cheese cloth. Push through all the veggies and squeeze firmly to get the juice out and transfer to gravy dish and serve with nut roast, vegan cutlet, veggie wellington or vegan meatloaf.