This simple yet deliciously clean tasting “Green Pea Soup with Spinach” is my take on the classic French pea soup. This recipe makes a wonderful entrée or a light main course and it pairs well with a crusty bread or French baguette.
Also, it’s a nice addition to any buffet for entertaining large crowd. Let’s be honest, who wouldn’t like a bowl of a fresh tasting and gorgeous looking soup?
As you might already know, green peas are a very good source of vitamin K, manganese, dietary fiber, vitamin B1, copper, vitamin C, phosphorus and folate. They are also a good source of vitamin B6, niacin, vitamin B2, zinc, protein, magnesium, iron, potassium and choline.
Adding a handful of fresh spinach right before blending the soup adds a nice touch of fresh green colour to the soup and plus fresh spinach is also high in niacin and zinc, as well as protein, fiber, vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium and so much more.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
- 1 cube of low sodium organic vegetable stock
- 800 ml boiling water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 250g fresh fennel, chopped
- 25 g (about 2) spring onion, chopped
- 900 g frozen peas
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can organic coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons green tabasco (optional)
- 80g fresh baby spinach
- On a medium heat on the stove, heat the olive oil in a large pan with a lid. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes or until soft. Add fennel and spring onions and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add the frozen peas, vegetable stock, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper and gently bring to boil.
- Then lower the heat and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Now add coconut milk and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and green tabasco if using. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Let the soup sit for half an hour to cool down.
- Now add the spinach leaves to the soup. Using a blender, carefully spoon some of the soup inside the blender and blend until smooth or desired consistency achieved. Transfer to another pan and continue with the rest of the soup.
- Once all the soup is done, heat gently on the stove and serve hot with serve with a nice crusty bread.