This Green Bean, Potato and Carrot Stew fits the bill when looking for a comfort food. This is such a satisfying, good-for-you, made with love stew that I promise if you make it once you will be hooked forever.
I always make this stew in a large quantity and freeze in batches for those evenings when I get home from work and don’t feel like cooking anything. I think that’s the beauty of making hearty stews. Isn’t it?
The quality of the tomato puree and tomato paste plays a big role in the taste of your stew so make sure you buy the good quality ones. I personally love the flavors of “Pomi Strained Tomato Sauce” and “Heinz Tomato Paste” which I always have them in my pantry. And as for the vegetable stock, you can never go wrong with “Campbells Real Vegetable Stock“.
From time to time, I like using Quorn mince in my stew, but you can totally remove the mince specially if you want the dish to be vegan.
I like to serve my stew with white Jasmin rice and a simple tomato and cucumber salad with lemon dressing.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 package of Quorn mince, defrosted (optional)
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 900g organic green beans, ends trimmed and cut in 4 to 5cm long
- 2 large potatoes, skin removed and diced in cubes
- 3 carrots, skin removed and diced
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 700 ml water
- 400 ml tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Juice of half lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- On a medium-high heat on the stove, using a very large cast iron pot, heat the oil until warm. Now add the onion and cook until translucent for about 3 minutes.
- Now add the mince and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add turmeric, curry and cayenne and stir well to combine. Add few drops of water to release the spices from the bottom of the pot. Cook for further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans, potatoes and carrots and cook for further 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Now add vegetable stock, water, tomato sauce and paste. Bring the stew to gentle boil. Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with the lid leaving small area open for the steam to escape.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer on medium- low heat for at least 50 to one hour.
- Serve the stew with white Jasmin rice.
Remove Quorn mince if you want the dish to be vegan.
Serve the stew with white Jasmin rice and a simple tomato and cucumber salad with lemon dressing.