I just adore this “Cucumber Yogurt Salad”. I grew up eating this salad almost every day and still today is one of my go to salad dishes thanks to the refreshing nature and scrumptious flavors.
There are a lot of different ways to make this dish, you can simplify it by using only yogurt,salt, pepper and or garlic, but in my humble opinion a little bit of work goes a long way as cucumber and the walnut give that heavenly taste and crunchiness and the hint of mint takes it to the next level.
From time to time, depending on what is available in my kitchen, I use fresh or dried dill for variations.
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried mint and more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons walnuts, finely chopped and more for garnish
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups low-fat greek or vegan plain yogurt
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dried rose petals, optional
- In a bowl, mix together cucumber, walnuts, garlic powder and dried mint. Then add the yogurt.
- Season well with salt and pepper. Garnish with dried mint, chopped walnuts and rose petals.
- Serve it as a dip with your favorite vegetables, spread on pita breads, or alongside hearty stews, biriyanis and tagines.