This homemade Coconut Curry Popcorn is flavored with a fragrant mix of coconut oil, salt, garlic, curry spice and a hint of turmeric. A great alternative to the traditional buttery popcorn!
As far as I am concerned, no move night is complete without some popcorn. So I love making a big bowl of popcorn to go along with our favorite movie and this recipe in particular quickly became my favorite flavor combination.
As you might know, not all curries are the same in flavor, some are mild and some our spicy. So don’t be afraid to play around with using a mild curry for a milder flavor or a spicy curry for something with a kick. Add more salt if you like your popcorn to be saltier. Also, You can add shredded coconut if you like the popcorn to have more coconut flavor.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
- For the Popcorn
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- For the Toppings
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 11/2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon or more Salt
- Heat coconut oil and olive oil with turmeric in a large pot with a lid.
- Add kernels, then cover with lid and shake the pot to cover the kernels with the oil mixture.
- Cook while shaking the pot every now and then to prevent burning.
- Slightly lift the lid to escape the steam which will allow to popcorns to begin to pop. Continue until popping slows.
- Remove from heat and add melted coconut oil, curry powder, garlic powder and salt. Close with lid and shake the pot to coat the popcorns with topping mixture and serve.